South Charlotte Recreation Association (SCRA) offers a competitive brand of basketball played at a variety of gyms throughout South Charlotte, including Ardrey Kell High School, Community House Middle School, South Charlotte Middle School, Providence Day School, Endhaven and Polo Ridge Elementary School. Our point of emphasis is providing safe and enjoyable recreation for all program participants. We stress positive coaching and an environment where all children are given the opportunity to have fun and to learn the game of basketball. Our focus is on fun, but each child will also be given the opportunity to learn valuable fundamentals of basketball, teamwork, sportsmanship, commitment, and hard work.
For more information please contact:
SCRA Basketball Commissioner
Welcome Letter SCRA Basketball - 2017-2018
The South Charlotte Recreation Association, formerly known as Old Providence (OP), has been around for decades and has provided a high quality basketball league for thousands of girls and boys in our community over the years. We are rated as one of the top youth basketball programs in Charlotte. This year we hope to continue the tradition of excellence. And in the spirit of continuous improvement, we want to make some enhancements and changes to our league in order to improve the experience of all of those in our basketball community - players, parents, coaches, refs and fans. We will highlight some of those changes below.
We have developed four guiding principles that will drive everything we do with the league.
We want all of our participants to:
1. Have fun
2. Get Better
4. The foruth is PARITY. We want to TRY to balance and improve the competitive play across all of the divisions. You will see some changes in the league that will hopefull help of acheive those objectives.
The four objectives listed above appear, on the surfact, to be easy to achieve, but we know from past experience that it will be quite a journey to get where we want to go. However we know that research shows that the top three things on the list ARE the things that kids want most from engaging in sports activites like basketball. So we want to give them that and more.
Listed below are some of the additional changes and enhancements that you can expect to see for the 2017/2018 season:
1. This year, as every year, we want to encourage positive attitudes, sportsmanship and fair play and respect from the entire SCRA basketball family - players, coaches, parents and fans. As such, we have enhanced our code of conduct policy to include new Standards of Behavior agreements for ALL players, coaches and parents. We will provide forms on this website that
must be signed and submitted to league officials at the mandatory evaluations by all players, coaches and parents before the draft. A players registration shall be considered incomplete until both the players and parents forms have been submitted.
2. We have eliminated the U17 Division (ages 15-17).
3. Depending on the number of kids registered and teams available we will separate the 13 and 14 year olds because we believe there is a significant physical difference between the HS and middle school kids in this age group. We believe we can improve competitive play for both groups by separating them. If there are not enough kids in one age group to form a seperate division then we will combine the age groups.
4. Mandatory evaluations for ALL players. All players must participate in the evaluation process inorder to participate in the draft process. We will hold multiple evaluation sessions (scheduled 10/28-11/1). This will NOT apply to the Instructional Division.
5. Any player that misses the evaluation can not be drafted by ANYONE. Instead they will be assigned to a random blind "hat pick".
6. This year there will be NO intact teams or AAU teams allowed. This rule will also prohibit more than two players from the same AAU or other organized travel team from playing on the same team. Additionally, neither parental requests, car pooling or coaches requests, will be factors considered for team placement. We believe that this will help improve the competitive balance across the league.
7. The girls league will remain the same. Last year we eliminated admission fees for families that will continue.
8. We will have coaches clinics in November and player clinics/ camps later in the season. Details to be announced soon.
I am looking forward to having an exciting and fun-filled season of basketball. Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at
PAYMENT POLICY: Online payment is expected at time of registration. Unpaid registrations will be automatically moved to the waitlist after 2 days. Your spot is not guaranteed unless the league receives payment.
REFUND POLICY: The SCRA allows refunds ONLY BEFORE a player has been drafted and placed on a team. There will be a $50 administrative fee per player on all refunds requested. Once a player has been drafted or placed on a team, NO REFUND will be issued.